Editor for Toptal Engineering Blog (Part Time)
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an Editor for the Toptal Engineering Blog, you will be responsible for ensuring that Toptal grows as a world-class publication for top development experts. You will be working closely with Toptal’s Engineering Vertical Lead Editor and Toptal’s global network of top engineering experts, to write and curate in-depth, thought-leading studies on the most important trends in the engineering space. You will be responsible for developing and executing the publication’s topic strategy while maintaining an extremely high-quality bar for all articles. Quality of writing, ambition, and drive are key traits for this position.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- You will research and analyze the work of leading publications, content, and trends in the industry
- You will work with Toptal network talent to publish in-depth articles on the most important events and trends in engineering and development, and you will ensure that all articles published meet the publication’s A+ quality bar.
- You will work with thought leaders across a variety of disciplines and industries to showcase their expertise through educational studies designed for an audience of other top engineering consultants.
- You will work with a world-class team of engineers and editors to ensure that all articles published feature compelling visuals and clear, concise thinking.
- You will stay on the cutting-edge of industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments and providing intelligence to the Toptal team by reviewing relevant articles published by competitors and media outlets in the space.
- You will work with editors from the other Publications Team verticals on special projects that help achieve team objectives and key results.
In the first week you will:
- Learn about Toptal’s Engineering offering and help develop the voice for the Publication.
- Onboard onto the Publications team by working closely with the suite of resources available.
- Learn the Publishing process and any associated tools.
In the first month you will:
- Work with top engineering experts from around the world to publish in-depth research on the most important concepts and trends in engineering.
- Work with engineering experts across a variety of disciplines to showcase their expertise through educational studies (practical, theoretical, and/or conceptual), designed for an audience of other top engineering experts.
- Define what an A+ Toptal Engineering study looks like, and ensure that all pieces published meet this quality bar.
- Define and execute the publication strategy for Toptal Engineering Blog.
In the first three months you will:
- Work with the Lead Editor for Toptal’s Engineering Blog and the Head of Publications on distribution techniques to grow impact.
- Stay on the cutting-edge of industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments and providing intelligence to the Toptal team by reviewing relevant articles published by competitors and media outlets in the space.
- Begin contributing new ideas to the Engineering Blog team in order to raise the bar and help achieve objectives and key results.
In the first six months you will:
- Help to scale up the cadence and visibility of the Engineering publication.
- Help demonstrate the expertise and knowledge of Toptal’s world-class talent network.
In the first year you will:
- Support a full-fledged publication, consistently working to improve the quality and impact of the publication via partnerships and assets across Toptal (PR, events, community, etc).
- Continually raise the bar and contribute new ideas for elevating the expertise of Toptal’s network talent
- Prior writing experience, preferably including a focus on engineering and development-related topics.
- Strong knowledge of important events and trends across multiple industries at the top of the engineering/development world.
- Unparalleled attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines while never sacrificing quality.
- Experience interviewing technical subject matter experts.
- You must have an exceptional eye for quality and a relentless drive to improve anything that falls below your standards.
- Ability to build and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter who can define strategy and execute with limited guidance.
- Be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.