Curriculum Developer (at Elastic)
Elastic is a search company with a simple goal: to solve the world’s data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the creators of the Elastic Stack, we help thousands of organizations including Cisco, eBay, Grab, Goldman Sachs, ING, Microsoft, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and many more use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what’s possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We have a distributed team of Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting), and our diverse open source community spans over 100 countries. Learn more at elastic.co
Are you are a software engineer who loves education? Do you want to meet lots of new people and teach engineers how to use Elasticsearch? Come join us at Elastic! In this role, you will support our global team of Education Engineers through creating and developing new educational materials for classroom and online training. You will also help maintain existing courseware and create software tools for interactive learning.
This opportunity has a direct influence on helping us grow and expand our education program by creating new courses for in-person and on-demand as well as helping build a certification program. The education materials you help build will be used by thousands of people every year!
Our ideal candidate thrives in an autonomous setting, taking the initiative to independently deliver results, as most of the team works remotely and we are happy to consider you wherever you live.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Keep existing Elastic Stack courseware up-to-date with the fast-changing features of Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana and Beats
- Use feedback and survey data from students and education engineers to create new courses and improve existing courses both for in-person and on-demand education
- Work with the engineering team, education team, and subject matter experts to improve existing courses and to create new learning objectives
- Create scripts, programs, and other similar technical artifacts that will assist the students in their learning environment and labs for courses
- Keep up to date with changes and advancements in the Elastic Stack and other similar technologies by following GitHub and other communications while in a parallel getting your hands dirty playing and experimenting with the software and code
- Work closely with education engineers to resolve issues with courseware discovered in the field
What You Bring Along:
- A minimum of 4 years experience working as an engineer, developer, or integrator in information retrieval or related technologies
- A minimum of 2 years experience building and developing curriculum, ideally supporting a national and/or global team
- BS in Computer Science or related engineering discipline
- A capacity to learn new things quickly and express your knowledge in a meaningful way
- Strong knowledge of a programming language (and related ecosystem and libraries) and Linux/Unix environment, software development, and/or experience with search, databases and distributed systems
- A desire to learn as much as possible about the internals and use cases of the Elastic Stack
- Strong communication skills while multitasking at a rapid pace
- Excited to work with a highly distributed team and collaborative environment
- Experience with the following is a huge plus: Photoshop, SCORM, Captivate or Articulate E-learning software
- MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related engineering discipline
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving — we match up to 1% of your salary
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Elasticsearch, Inc. (“Elastic”) which is located at 800 W. El Camino Real, Suite 350 Mountain View, CA 94040 USA, and can be contacted by emailing email@example.com. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Elastic’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Elastic, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment. Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Elastic to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Elastic’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the standard contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Elastic’s data protection officer is Daniela Duda, who can be contacted at email@example.com. We plan to keep your data until our open role is filled. We cannot estimate the exact time period, but we will consider this period ended when a candidate accepts our job offer for the position for which we are considering you. When that period is over, we may keep your data for an additional period no longer than 3 years in case additional opportunities present themselves in which yours skills might be better suited. For additional details, please see our Elastic Privacy Statement https://www.elastic.co/legal/privacy-statement.